Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hand and Footprint Flying Ladybug Craft


I helped the younger girls put together a couple of flying ladybugs, this morning, using their own hand and footprints.


First I traced one of their feet, for their ladybug's body.


Then, two hand prints, with fingers tight together, for the shell.


And, a piece cut from a sandwich bag, for the inner wings.


The girls decorated them with fingerprint eyes, and spots. If I had been paying attention, I would have made sure the spots went on the handprints, so the thumbs would be on the inside of the wings, but I missed that with E (you can see the difference in the picture at the top).


When they were all dry, or nearly dry, we fastened them together with a paper fastener, as shown.


Now we're all ready for our afternoon story time, with Judy Hawes' Ladybug, Ladybug, Fly Away Home, part of the Let's Read and Find Out Science series, that promises to shed some light on the horrible words of the old nursery rhyme.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

Cute! And a great way to teach the body parts of this insect!

Debbie said...

These are so cute.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Nice! Another book for me to look for :)

Ticia said...

How cute! I love that you made the inner wings too.