Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bread Maker Cinnamon Roll Pull Apart Bread


I've been drooling over the recipes from Plain Chicken, for a while now. Have you visited that blog? I'm pretty sure a person could gain weight from paging through the pictures there.

This week, her cinnamon roll pulls caught my eye, and I couldn't resist trying out the recipe, or a slightly modified version of it anyway, for breakfast, this morning.

Last night, I set the bread maker humming with a loaf of cinnamon bread, as opposed to Plain Chicken's round loaf of uncut sourdough. I would love to have made ours cinnamon raisin nut bread, but I can never seem to catch the "add in" beep. So, I settled for cinnamon.

Gold Star Breadmaker Cinnamon Bread

(sort of)

For a 1 and 1/2 lb. loaf add in the order below:

  • 1 cup + 2 TBL water

  • 1 and 1/2 TBL milk

  • 1 and 1/2 TBL butter, chopped into small pieces.

  • 3 cups flour (bread or multi-purpose)

  • 1 tsp salt

  • 3 TBL brown sugar

  • 2 tsp cinnamon

  • 1 and 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast (regular, quick rise yeast will work, too)

Set the bread machine to specialty bread, on a light crust setting. Add 1/3 cup of raisins, and 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts at the beep for the last mixing, if desired, and if you can catch it.


This morning, I sliced the bread, almost all the way, but not quite through the bottom crust...


...and buttered between the slices. Plain Chicken has a recipe for honey butter, that sounds wonderful, but I wasn't so sure the children would take to it, so I stuck with plain old butter.


Then, I sliced across the bread the other way, again stopping at the bottom crust, and slathered on more butter (no one ever said something with cinnamon roll in the title, should be low calorie).


I sprinkled about a cup of brown sugar between the slices, and lined a pan with tinfoil...


...to wrap it up for baking.


I popped it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, before drizzling it with a powder sugar glaze (1 cup of powder sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons of milk), and serving it up warm, and gooey.


It never stood a chance. The picture below is what happened, in the time it took me to turn around, and grab my camera.


The children declared it as good, if not better than cinnamon rolls. I'm not convinced it was any less work, than making the real thing, what with all that slicing, and buttering, wrapping, and baking. Even so, it received enough praise, and appreciation, I won't be afraid to make it again.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Your post title caught my eye. I read out the recipe to my girls and our mouths are watering. Fortunately being homeschoolers, we can make a loaf right away: our day is our own. Thank you for the recipe. We shall be having a delicious afternoon tea!

Ticia said...

Yummmmmmmy.

Phyllis said...

If I had a bread maker...

OurWanderingAdventures said...

This looks AMAZING!

Christy Killoran said...

Wow! That sounds so good. Can you believe that we have a brand new bread maker that we have never taken out of the box. Now, I am inspired!