Saturday, July 16, 2011

Diet Busting, Mall Style, Bread Machine, Pretzel Bites

I've taken off 30 pudgy pounds since February, but the Food + Drink tab at Pinterest, where I seem to be spending all my free time these days, could prove to be my undoing. There are so many "must try" recipes.

Take for example, these mall style, pretzel bites, pinned from Dine & Dish via AllRecipes.com.


I had to try them.

Mall Type Pretzel Bites

1 1/8 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup melted butter
kosher salt for savory pretzels, or cinnamon and sugar for sweet bites.

Add the first four ingredients in order, into the bread machine, and mix on the dough setting.

Many similar recipes use salt in the dough, I double checked at AllRecipes.com, and this one did not use any, so I left it out. It didn't seem to hurt anything. I also noticed some reviewers suggested using corn syrup in place of brown sugar. I might try that next time, and oh yes - there will be a next time, but for a first try, I stuck to the original recipe.


Remove the dough from the breadmaker, and divide it into eight balls, to be rolled, and shaped into the traditional, large pretzel shapes.


Or, take the easy way out, and pull it apart into 1 inch (or smaller) balls, for pretzel bites.


Bring two quarts of water, mixed with the 1/2 cup of baking soda, to a boil. Drop the dough bites, a few at a time, into the boiling water for 10-15 seconds.


Remove them from the water with a strainer, or slotted spoon...


...and let them dry a little on paper towel covered plates...


...before placing them on a greased cookie sheet...


...to bake for 6 to 8 minutes (8 to 10 for big pretzels), at 425 degrees Fahrenheit, or until golden brown on top. Remove them from the oven...


...and give them a quick toss in melted butter, and then a mixture of sugar and cinnamon (amounts to taste).


Grab one fast. They won't last long.


Mall pretzels for breakfast, and time to enjoy them as a family?

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!!! I want some right now!

Congrats on the weight loss!

Joyful Learner said...

Wow! That's awesome! I've only lost 5 within 30 days but can't imagine losing 30! Those looks so yummy...it reminds me of the ones I used to eat as a kid. Good thing I don't bake or else...but next time I'm at the market, I might pick up one or two!

Ticia said...

That sounds like a delicious way to break a diet

Phyllis said...

We love to make homemade pretzels, but I have never made them in little balls or with sugar. Something new to try! Thanks for posting this. Sweet pretzels for breakfast sound just like our sort of thing.

Annette W. said...

Congrats on the 30 pounds. Will you show us a picture?

These sound yummy!!

Tracey @ www.dontmesswithmama.com said...

I really love your blog. So many great ideas! This recipe looks DELICIOUS! I can't wait to try it.

Please stop by http://www.dontmesswithmama.com when you get a chance.

Sabrina Lopez said...

I have to try , but I don't have a bread machine.
I am a new follower :)
Thanks for sharing. I really like your blog.

soknitpicky said...

That looks so good! Do you share your Pinterest ID? I'd love to follow your finds there.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

soknitpicky - I don't actually have a pinterest account, I just like to go and look at all the links :)